Wednesday, August 25, 2010

the wall

082510


People need people, even more so when we're sick, or going through tough times. When I was diagnosed I kind of shut people out. I didn't want to bring them down too, or I didn't think they could possibly understand, or I feared running them off with my whining. What I should have done was accept their encouragement, their understanding. I felt vulnerable, like my body had failed me, ashamed. It was hard for me to let people in to help me get through it. Looking back, I should have accepted their hands, their ears, their hearts.

~ You can see the explanation behind this project by going here or see the all posts in this category by going here. ~

8 comments:

  1. I think it's natural for a lot of us when we go through that stage because we're so accustomed to being the helper, we don't want to be in need of a helper. I think we forget how much joy and satisfaction it brings us to be able to serve others, and once we realize that, it's a little easier to let them experience that when they turn around and give to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need help in knocking that brick wall down a bit....I am sure all your friends understood! Beautiful image w/ a beautiful message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well stated.

    I've learned the beautiful part is that it's never too late to take those hands and hearts that were offered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lot easier to give support than to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why it is that we tend to wall ourselves off when we don't feel well. I guess it's just human nature to not want others to see us not at our best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is always so hard to ask for and accept help, I think we always feel like we have to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. true--the first thing we tend to do when we are ill, or feeling emotinally wounded, is build that wall. it's a natural reflex to protect ourselves from more pain. I think we also need time to come to grips with what's happening before we can share it with others.

    ReplyDelete