Wednesday, August 11, 2010

dedicated

081110


You'll have no idea when you look at this photo how much trouble I went to to get it. I saw a small spider (about the size of a pencil eraser) hanging from a single thread. I went in and got my macro lens, and tripod - oh I loath a tripod. When I came back out all I saw was the thread. I waited. . .suddenly he emerged from under a flower and he went up, then down, then up, then down, for at least ten minutes I tried to track this tiny being with no success.

Finally, he took a breather, in the area that appeared to be the center of all his lines.  To get a good focus on this tiny creature I had to use a very long exposure (the sun was fading fast) and hold my breath while the wind blew him gently (not good for a long exposure).  It took several attempts to get one this clear.

I continued to watch him as he moved again, this time, round and round.  He was amazingly quick!  I would guess I stood transfixed for nearly an hour, even watching after darkness fell and moths almost became dinner.  I'm not keen on spiders, but behind the lens I'm brave; I do appreciate his dedication to his task.  Sometimes, things are worth all the effort poured into them.

~ You can see the explanation behind this project by going here or see the all posts in this category by going here. ~

17 comments:

  1. Shots like this do take time, patience and dedication, but you captured it beautifully. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sweet friend for your efforts. It's a beautiful mission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I do....but I haven't been able to get a shot like this...I used to be afraid of them before I started taking photos and looking at the beauty in their webs....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. His dedication, perseverance and patience as well as your dedication, perseverance and patience paid off for us! Great photo Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was well worth your patience...amazing details (although a bit creepy) LOL I love the soft colors in the background...it really makes the web and spider stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing picture. I am always amazed at the intricate detail you capture and the radiant colors behind him just make him pop off the page. How about "Behind the Lens I'm Brave" for the title of your book?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are remarkably quick and absolutely tireless about building those webs. It's fascinating to watch. Or in this case shoot. I know the tripod was a sacrifice. ;-) But it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again, He had set you a test, and you have passed with flying colors to bring us this magnificent creature. Both you and the spider mirror each other in your determination and mental strength.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such dedication! The soft hues of purple and green in the background make the spider web appear deceptively inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i know how difficulties u found to catch the photos...
    Congrats
    your photos are simply marvelous
    congrats
    http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/08/sweden-x-scotland-3x0/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot - worth the effort. (I detest dragging out my tripod too.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! You are really good Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. EEEKKK!

    Awesome shot! Well worth the tripod!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything about this image is perfect! Absolutely outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time with nature is time well spent :)

    ReplyDelete