Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Wacky Son

IMAG0246


cell phone pic


Two evenings ago, Haden plucked a plant exactly like these and said, "This is Poison Ivy"

I said, "Really? Then drop it!  You're allergic to poison ivy!  Don't you remember?"

Him (dropping it), "But I've never had it since living up here, have I?"

Me, "I dunno.  Don't you remember how bad you used to get?!  I don't know if it's possible to not get it if you've always gotten it.  You better go wash up right now just in case."

(That's our Missouri talk coming out, lol)

I swear that this boy cannot look at poison ivy without getting it.  He has been to the ER several times with it covering lots of his body, and in places you'd rather it not be.  One summer he was there 5 times!  I was so ticked at him as I thought he kept purposefully getting in it, lol.  Shots would help and we learned to wash him with Dawn dish soap immediately if we suspected he had been in it.  And the reason he hasn't had it in several years is because he learned what it looked like and avoided it.  So what was he thinking plucking it out of the ground?!

poison ivy eye


So yesterday he woke up with one swollen/red eye and we had forgotten about the plant and assumed he got bit by a mosquito while sleeping.  Today he woke up with the eyelid worse and some itching on his ear.  Yep, he's still allergic!

PS - I am not allergic.

15 comments:

  1. Shucks.
    I would say poor him, but it was probably a lesson necessary to be repeated... *sigh*... Boys :)
    Hope the swelling and itching goes away soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW could he possibly forget????? Maybe this time he will remember??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor boy, I am sure that now he knows the plant !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I hope he recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! We had a ton of it in our Atlanta yard. And after getting poison ivy pretty bad a couple times, the doctor told me that the strength it effects you increases each time you come in contact with it. Hope he's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that's poison ivy. Silly boy! Reminds me of my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess "feeling" is believing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaves of three leave 'em be.... Poor thing - hope the itching gets better ASAP! It really is miserable. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man. What a difficult way to learn a lesson. I hope it sticks this time. Just the lesson - not the itchy, swelling miserableness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Man! I had a really bad case of poison ivy once and it was the worst!!! You would think he would know by now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a goofball! Hopefully he doesn't have learn this lesson AGAIN! after this. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay away from three-leaved shiny things! Whoo. I hope he will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Be thankful it's just a mild reminder. And at least you know exactly what he is allergic to. My hubby has hyper-sensitive skin and the biggest headache is he often does not know what triggers his latest reaction. One moment in the clear, the next moment puffy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does look painful, poor thing! Makes me feel itchy, just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh nooooooo.....I am allergic and I know how miserable he must be feeling! Tell him to wear gloves next time he decides to pull poisen ivy LOL

    ReplyDelete