Saturday, September 13, 2008

Stirring Memories

t941



Do you know what kind of car this is? As we looked around the car show I was pleasantly surprised to find this one. And even more happy that it was black!

t942



When I was a little bitty girl, my mom had a Comet, a black Comet. It’s the car she had when she was driving down Main Street and a man in the car next to us stuck his tongue out at me.

t943



Her interior was white with red carpet and hers was a different year but it was a car very similar to this one. I was a three year old little blonde sitting in the passenger seat when that mean man stuck his tongue out. I promptly told my mom and she advised me to stick mine back.

Two years later they were married and that 'mean' man became my loving father, yeah the father who would tie my knee socks together while they were still on my feet and drive me crazy. The same dad who has always insisted that I stuck my tongue out first. This month they will have been married 36 years.

t944



Dad never liked mom’s car; he always wanted to bury it in the yard. But I’m not sure why, since he met two of his favorite girls in that Comet. Honestly, I do not remember what happened to the car, maybe it IS buried in the yard of my childhood home.

19 comments:

  1. Lisa! I remember that car!!! That very same car....ok, maybe not the EXACT same car, but I really do remember it!! OMG I must be getting old. Congratulations to your parents on being married like....forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those car shows. And I love the real names of the cars and the normal spellings of the names. There is an innocence about all of that. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was fun...I used to have a light blue comet. The interior wasn't red, but otherwise looked just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I really, really loved it. And didn't see the "ending" coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This weekend I noticed so many classic car shows happening and so many wonderful cars on the road! I actually love that Comet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story! How cool that you remember "meeting" him like that. And it sounds like she found a wonderful man. My mother had a Corvair and I remember standing on the front seat next to her wherever we went. My kids can't believe that I was allowed to ride standing up on the front seat - we don't even put our car in gear until they've got their seatbelts on LOL

    And just so you know - I still have the Duck song stuck in my head LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice story! I'll bet he stuck his tongue out first. He was hoping to meet his two would-be favorite girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the "tongue-sticking-out", story. I love how memories surface. This is a great post, and the photos are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story is priceless. Really really great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Kewl' memory shared by you here ... triggered by this car. Thanks for sharing ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tough not to get away from your blog without a smile. And you won again! :)
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember a guy driving one of those -- and it was in pretty bad shape and the rest of us called it his little "vomit"
    ha ha ha.

    oh the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. and what a cool memory of meeting your new dad.... (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am glad that he wanted to bury the car, and not your mom, in the back yard! Great story...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. anglophilefootballfanatic.comSeptember 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM

    I remember when you posted that story for Fun Monday. I love it. Maybe you should start digging to find the car?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous car! I absolutely LOVE old, taken-care-of or restored cars.

    I have something for you over on my blog - come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOHH what a cute story!!! So did He know your Mom before that???? It sounds like he was a wonderful person in your life!!
    Love car shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peyton drives this on One Tree Hill - seriously COOL Ass car!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a GREAT story!!!! =) Love it!!!!! Funny how things you see bring back such memories!!!! =) Good Times! Good Times!

    ReplyDelete