Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Skunk Cabbage and Owl

skunk cabbage bloomswho's watching me?


I shared these photos with you on Monday and while searching through my flickr for them I discovered that I had taken them on April 28th, 2007. So, one year plus one day later I decided to go back over.


Hubby had barely walked in the door from work when I asked him to come to the park with me. I grabbed my macro lens and tossed the honkin’ lens to him. The honkin’ lens gets very heavy. Imagine carrying your laptop on the trails, yeah it’s 3-5 lbs, at least. So, I really call it my honkin’ lens, or sometimes huge honkin’, you might know it better as the 100-400mm, my birding lens. And since my left arm is aching, I assume from carrying it too much, I was happy to give it to him in case we saw the owl again.


DPP_0751


On the way to the area I needed I saw this cute little snowman left over from our snow a couple of days ago. He looks pretty out of place now.


DPP_0748


What I found was that I was a little late for the skunk cabbage; it looks very sad now. That center bulb thing starts out kind of a creamy white.


DPP_0749


There was plenty around but it’s past its prime.


DPP_0750


Do you recognize this? It will be prettier soon.


DPP_0746


Who do I see?


DPP_0747


Who sees me?


Those were taken with my macro lens (100mm). But Dennis managed to make his arm ache and get a crick in his neck while taking the following, with the camera pointed nearly straight up. And he says he’s not a birder, ha!


DPP_0752


DPP_0753


DPP_0754


DPP_0755


DPP_0756


DPP_0757


Pooping owl.


DPP_0758


DPP_0759


Shake, shake. . .


DPP_0760


Shake.


DPP_0761


DPP_0762


DPP_0763


Yawn?


DPP_0764


Sneeze?


DPP_0765


DPP_0766


So, the whole trip wasn’t a bust. I really enjoyed watching him and I think he enjoyed seeing us again. We weren’t totally surprised to see him because we own a cache (GC12FTW) nearby and often people say they have seen him. I’m just amazed that he stays in this area. I guess he must find plenty to eat or he wouldn’t stay. Maybe he helps keep the nearby golf course clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment