Thursday, May 1, 2008

Your dog's nose isn't a colonoscopy

Originally posted March 1, 2007

It’s time for you to get your colon checked. No, your dog’s nose doesn’t count. It’s so important that you get screened. A colonoscopy can find cancer when it’s still itty bitty and is easily removed. A colonoscopy can find a small polyp that could turn into cancer before it is cancer and that polyp can be removed right then without major surgery. And, if you do this few moments of discomfort, you can save yourself all the pain I’ve been through.

I have no family history of any type of cancer yet I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC colon cancer or more specifically T3N2M0 (for more information on diagnosing and staging) at age 38. The average person doesn’t get their first colonoscopy until they are 50 but I know that I am not alone in having it this young. I don’t care what age you are, if you are having any bowel problems I suggest a colonoscopy. If you have a family history of cancer you should also be checked earlier.

I had every test imaginable and cancer was never found. Even my blood did not show a higher CEA level to indicate cancer. Only the colonoscopy found it. The only foolproof test for colon cancer is the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy is vital and you must make yourself do it. Don’t assume your cancer would show up on a CT scan as I did. Don’t assume that all the other tests would be good enough. Don’t chicken out, for fear or embarrassment, like I did. If I had went for the first one I had scheduled maybe I wouldn’t be in the boat I am now.

Call today to schedule your colonoscopy. If you are over 50 and your doctor neglected to schedule one then you request it. Today, right now, don’t put it off. This is your life and it’s too important to lose when you can prevent it so easily. I’ll even come hold your hand. I don’t want to share my boat with you, you belong on the shore.

Feel free to email me (or comment) anytime, I’m happy to lend an ear of support. I can be reached at lisa at Lisa chaos dot com or lisaschaos at yahoo dot com. Also, I love to hear good results, so after you’ve had your test please let me know that you’re ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment