Monday, October 5, 2009

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore

lc2757


We finally made it to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on our way back from Maine.  We've been talking about going for years, just never taken the time to stop when we get near.  This time we did stop at the headquarters to get our passport stamp, then went to Mt Baldy.


lc2751


Immediately upon starting up the path we found a lizard.


lc2750


Haden helped him pose for the camera.  He does have a way with creatures.  The little guy reminds me of a wiggling, growling dog.


lc2752


I just thought the shadows on the uneven sand was cool.


lc2755


Dennis hand to dip his toes in the cool water, hope a wave doesn't slap the camera.


lc2753


A lighthouse in the distance.  If the day had been clearer we would have been able to see Chicago, but alas, it was not to be.


lc2754


So cool and refreshing on a hot day!


lc2756


Seagulls scavenge anywhere, even in the trashcans.

16 comments:

  1. That looks like a really nice place to have a look around, Good on you that you did stop h´this time! I love the photo with the lizard in the hand. You are good with the camera - you can see a nice photo.
    So one day we meet and rent a Stingray and go over and see this park together.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pic with the lizard looks like he's actually smiling for the camera. I love the lighthouse pic. pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picture of a hot day. What's that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them all but that lizard in Haden's hand is my favorite. What a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that second picture of the lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the waves around hubby´s feet. Looks cool and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo with the lizard in your hand! He looks like a tiny little dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lizard reminds me of a dinosaur in that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such great pictures. it looks to be a nice place to explore. find any treasures? I always like scavenging beachside for seashells, broken glass, etc. have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do the passport stamps too! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! You visited a National Park. Did you see the Ken Burns special on PBS or my post about the series and National Parks? I actually started a meme asking people to name the National Parks they visited. You did in this post.
    I like the lizard photos and the sand/shadow pictures the best - but they are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have nightmares about that lizard smile tonight. aaargh! They haunt my dreams because my best friend and I tried to catch them as children. Their tails would come off. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, the lizard-between-the-fingers shot made me laugh out loud. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete