Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Burying Point

lc2430


Established in 1637, I think I can safely say this is the oldest cemetery I have ever stepped foot into.


lc2418


Let's look around a bit and see what we can find.


lc2419


Inferib'd by an only Child


to the Memory of


an Affectionate Parent


Mrs Sarah Bowditch


who was born March 25th 1754


died Dec 8th 1797


How Blessings brighten as they take


their flight!



lc2422


MR


NATHANEAL MATHER


DEC 08 OBER Y 17


1688


An Aged person


that had seen but


Nineteen Winters


in the World.


lc2421


A stone or two in the path?  How odd.  Some of the s's look like f's, so I have translated them to make sense.  And apparently if there wasn't enough room for a word they threw some letters above the word.


lc2427


FRANCIS WAINWRIGHT


lc2420


Here lie Interr'd


the remains of


Mr John Hathorne


son of CAPT


Joseph Hathorne


& Grandson to the


Honourable


John Hathorne


Ob Feb 6th 1750


AEtatis 28


lc2423


Here lyes ye body of Hanna Swinnerton Widdo of Doctor John Swinnerton Aged 71 years died december ye 23th 1713



Here lyeth buried ye body of John Swinnerton Phisian Deceasd ye 6 of Janur 1690 in ye 68 yeare of his age


lc2417


Here Lyes Interd


the Body of


Mr JOHN HIGGINSON


Junr of Salem March(nt)


Aged 42 Years &


6 Monthes Who Decd


April the 26th 1718


lc2416


HERE LYES INTERED YE BODY


OF HANNAH WIFE OF JOHN


HIGGINSON JUNR DAUGHR


OF CAPT SAMLL GARDNER


DECD JUNE YE 24 1713 IN YE


38 YEAR OF HER AGE



lc2428


lc2426


lc2424


Thanx for touring with me.  Reading what was carved proved difficult at times, the language, spelling and the fact that some letters seemed strewn about.  I wonder what was intended by the message at the top of this stone, let's look closer.  Your take?


lc2425


REMEMBER TO DIE

14 comments:

  1. First take that came to mind was that they want to be sure you don't hang around in the 'tween haunting them! I love old cemeteries...thanks for sharing this one. I thought the one I saw in Boston was old, but this one beats that I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very macabre the set.
    The more you see, the 'heavier' it becomes.
    Thanks for sharing, I'm not sure I could walk long in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally jealous! I love old cemeteries but have never been in one that old. I love the inscriptions and how they make the words fit. I want to go on a road trip with you - you find the coolest places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to live .... remember to die. Hmmm.
    Yes.

    Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember to die. Ha....even if you don't....
    I'm one of those weird cemetery lovers so this was a nice little walk around for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lisa:

    You are one brave woman. Everytime I drive by a burial ground now, I think of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled upon this page and it was like stumbling upon an old cemetary! Thank you so much for sharing. My friends think that I am odd that I tell her that I am one of those people that like to walk around cemetaries, something so peaceful about it to me, the flowers left, the inscriptions. Thank you again for sharing! Now to go see if I will be able to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a piece of history, and you've documented it nicely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those are some very old graves. I love your adventures through cemetery's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it will matter if we remember or not. Enjoyed the visit with you.

    Leedra’s Photos For Fun


    Leedra’s Greeting Cards


    Photography By Leedra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love old cemeteries and I recently found some interesting headstones in Concord, MA. Salem is so rich with
    history. Love your photos, beautifully ornate headstones and wording.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. old cemeteries gives me the creep....but it is such an amazing experience just by reading & looking at the tombstones especially those back in the 1700's....cool pictures!..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found the single rose on the first tombstone very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those sculls with wings are interesting. Would they be happy to know that is very "in" in decorating and design these days? Old cemetaries are so interesting. This one obviously more than most.

    ReplyDelete