Wednesday, June 22, 2011

San Francisco de Asis Mission Church

DSCF4138

We had a wonderful time exploring Taos, New Mexico! This mission was built over a period of years, 1772-1815 by Franciscan Fathers. It was the subject of four paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe, and photographs by Ansel Adams and Paul Strand. Georgia O'Keeffe described it as, "one of the most beautiful buildings left in the United States by the early Spaniards."

DSCF4135

We visited after dinner, as the sun was beginning to go down. The lighting was not quite what I had hoped.

DSCF4127

DSCF4115

Real adobe - how cool!

DSCF4121

The doors - so welcoming!

DSCF4113

DSCF4119

The water drains from the roof into little pools.

DSCF4120

DSCF4122

Catholic offices.

DSCF4124

DSCF4117

DSCF4118

We loved the blue against the adobe, if we had one we think we would use it.

4 comments:

  1. I KNEW this looked familiar!! Taos...one of my favorite places! It is fabulous there!! I wanted to move there...Ben said no way!!

    When we were there, they were having a wedding! It was pretty cool watching the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I agree with Ms. O'Keefe. I'm envious of those doors. Doors and windows is my camera club assignment for July. Maybe I need to hop on over to New Mexico. If only....

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really cool. these days, someone would create that structure using spray foam that hardens into shape... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting building! never seen such beautiful doors on buildings like that, otherwise 'i don't think it's a welcoming building bu ti might be wrong. Guess I need to be there to get the feeling of it

    ReplyDelete