Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hope Cemetery, Part III

lc2055


My last installment of Hope Cemetery.


lc2054


lc2042


You don’t expect to see pyramids in a cemetery but there are two here.


lc2043


Larger-than-life soccer ball.


lc2045


"Set me as a seal upon thine heart for love is strong as death" - Song of Solomon 8:6 William and Gwendolyn Halvosa sit in their marriage bed in pajamas, holding hands, with their tombs stretching out before them.


lc2056


lc2047


The mausoleum with the carved granite insets in the doors. While I was looking around, the owner of the crypt came to place flowers - she was very proud of the tomb. In fact she searched for her keys to let me in to admire the stained glass - but she could not find them. Too bad I would have loved to step inside. There are 8 crypts inside, the roof weighs 23 tons and the Last Supper in stained glass adorns the back wall.


lc2048


lc2050


lc2057


The saddest (oldest?) grave in the place.


lc2051


lc2052


lc2053


Looking at the stained glass you could forget it was raining outside.



Hope Cemetery, Part I
Hope Cemetery, Part II

25 comments:

  1. Pretty cool post. I just came by your blog and wanted to say
    that I've really enjoyed reading your posts. Anyway
    I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved those shots...I use to look at gravestones all the time when I was a teenager. Its amazing how many people died so young 100 years ago. Happy WW:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so enjoyed this series of photographs. Each of these headstones have been so incredible. I think that the oldest grave in the cemetery is my favorite. Maybe with a little upkeep it wouldn't seem so sad. I do wish you could have seen the inside of that mausoleum. It sounds very interesting. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat cemetery, Lisa. Did you just happen upon it, or were you directed to it, or how did you come to go there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one with the Jesus looking through the metal literally shocked me when I first saw it. Fantastic shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really amazingly beautiful tombstones! with so much history behind each one I'm so sure of that. Mostly what I've seen here are much simpler compared to these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing pictures of a very interesting place....the pyramids especially!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great images! What an eclectic array of tombs. I so want the moseleum for myself and my family. Ain't gonna happen...way to expensive for a hotel in the afterlife ;0) Miss you! Will be back to regular blogging and checking in when I get home from VA... I will check in when I can till then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, I'm struck at the beauty of this place. Also the variety and creativity of the stones. I'm so glad you took so many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I though that the miniature pyramids made an interesting tombstone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so enjoying these photos.
    Great! Thanks for sharing them.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful tombstones and stained glass pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That place is so beautiful! It's now made it onto my Bucket List. I love the couple in pj's and bed, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous series ... each time I picked a favorite and NEW fav appeared ;--)
    Love them ALL!!!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many unique tomb! the tomb of couple in pajamas really touched me on how deep their love towards each other!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really loved these series of shots. The granites are wonderful in this cemetery and I would love to visit some day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such as interesting post. The stained glass is very beautiful and the monuments are so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really amazing headstones. I love the stained glass, you don't often see that in a cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder what the story is behind the sad/odd one?

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the stained glass shots... and the tomb of the couple with the song of solomon verse is so sweet... even in the life beyond, they are together:)...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're so brave. I love that love is as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm loving this series! I hope you have more!!!

    ReplyDelete